Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Handmade Parade: Recycled Vintage Embroidery Quilt


My grandmother and great-aunt, like many women of their generation, were skilled embroiderers. When they passed away, my mother inherited their hand-stitched tablecloths, napkins, and table-runners. Though many of them are too small for my mother's table, are worn/slightly damaged, or are out of fashion, she has kept them with respect to the work that her family put into making them, and for the memories and meaning they hold for her.


Some of the best cloths made an appearance at my brother's wedding a few years ago and my wedding last year, to honour my grandmother, who would have been so happy to be with us on those special days. But mostly, they've been folded up and stored in a cabinet.

My brother and his wife recently had a child, a beautiful bright baby girl named after our great aunt. To welcome her, I recycled some of the embroidered cloths that her great grandmother and her namesake stitched so many years ago and fashioned them into a baby's quilt.


The idea of my little niece cuddling up against vintage embroidery that was hand-stitched by her ancestors is so beautiful to me. I'm sad she'll never get a chance to know these strong and loving women, but she will definitely hear their stories... and she'll have a little part of them beside her as she grows into a strong woman herself.

 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful example of Win-Win recycling. Whether the needlepoint ends up being worn out from being someone's favorite "blankee" or becomes part of a families legacy. I am sure that the (possibly) final use of this handywork was never imagined by their creators...I am sure that they would be very pleased...

    ReplyDelete
  3. TheMother of SarahMarch 31, 2011 at 1:27 PM

    This is so beautiful it made me cry! The fabulous quilt honours women who are so important to me. This new baby will add yet another strong beautiful woman to the tradition of our family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. like the mother of sarah, this made me cry. such a beautiful idea and a beautiful quilt. congrats to your whole family. what a lucky little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful way to celebrate past generations and welcome a new one. The beauty of the quilt is surpassed only by the beauty of the little girl resting on it!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete